Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and light unto my path. Psalm 119:105(KJV)
One of the first verses I rote memorized as a little child was Psalm 119:105. I had no idea what it meant at that time but till today I can say this verse with my eyes closed.
The only difference is that today, I can visualize using a lamp or a flashlight to take my next step when the lights are all off without stumbling over. I remember reading somewhere that “darkness is the absence of Light”, and therefore Light is important in our Christian walk.
We will be breaking down key words from this beautiful verse, and will do a small study on them using the God’s Word.
WHAT IS GOD’S WORD?
God’s Word is God-Breathed or God-inspired word. It teaches us, convicts us of our sins, and trains us in righteousness to live an honorable life in favor of God and Man.
(2 Timothy 3:16-17). It is also an eternal Word settled in Heaven, and stands unchangeable (Psalm 119:89).
Lord Jesus Christ Himself said that “All Scriptures testify of Him, and it has eternal life” (John 5:39).
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A LAMP AND A LIGHT?
A Lamp sheds light just enough for the very next step or two, while a Light can light up our entire path. I love this verse so much that I put it this way :
The lamp and the light does important two things –
1.SHOW us OUR WAY: Jesus says, “I am the way, the truth, and the life, No one comes to the Father but through me”(John 14:6,KJV)
2. LIGHT OUR WAY : Jesus says ,” I am the light of the world, he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. (KJV)
HOW DOES THIS UNFLICKERING LAMP GUIDE OUR FEET?
When we study God’s Word, we get a clear picture of where the Lord wants our feet to be. In Psalm 1:1, the verses begin by stating that a man or a woman who does not walk in the counsel of the ungodly is favored by God. God will deliver our feet from stumbling and from being a stumbling block to others if we let Him be the Lord of our lives. God’s Word will convict us of the darkness in our lives, and ‘guide our feet into way of peace’
Meditate :Where is our stand and walk today? Does it please God?
Do we use our feet to flee sin or do we stand around in the path of sinners?
1. For thou hast delivered my soul from death: wilt not thou deliver my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of the living? Psalm 56:13(KJV)
2. To give light to them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace. Luke 1:79(KJV)
3. He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings. Psalm 40:2(KJV)
HOW DOES GOD’S WORD SHED LIGHT ONTO OUR PATH?
It is so easy to choose the wrong paths in our life, and ruin the relationship we have with God. How often do we examine the paths we have taken at the feet of Jesus, and realize the dark consequences that will follow us. When we acknowledge God, and seek His Will, He will show us the path to take next. As we tread through this wilderness, weary of the troubles that have befallen upon us, and lost our path ; God will lead us by the straight path to the city of our habitation.
Meditate : Is there a sin God has shed light upon that we refuse to confess?
Do we acknowledge God to direct our paths?
1. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths – Proverbs 3:6(KJV)
2. The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.– Psalm 37:23(KJV)
3. And he led them forth by the right way, that they might go to a city of habitation.– Psalm 107:7 (KJV)
I have included as a free printable for you, my wonderful readers. Do comment below and let me know how this verse and printable blessed your life today.
God’s Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path –(Psalm 119:105,KJV)
Until we meet again here,
Linking up : #Faith N Friend, Grace and Truth, #FreshMarketFriday